We received a call in July regarding a pond in Clifton that had become completely filled end to end with waterchestnut, one of Virginia's worst invasive weeds. It was hard to find any water when we evaluated.
In Virginia, waterchestnut is one of the worst invasive floating weeds. Waterchestnut has a 7 or 8 foot coiled up floating root structure under the main plant. We had no choice but to use a "selective herbicide" that would not hurt grass, other plants or aquatic life. The herbicide was designed to break down and go away naturally in 14 days, After a few weeks we had only killed the weeds around the edge of the pond. We raked the dying weeds around the pond to create a good water barrier for aquatic life, then treated the weeds in the middle.
After the weeds all died and decomposed or were removed we began weekly treatments of Aquaritin diatom promoter and beneficial bacteria. The owners wisely had us install an aerator with two heads and continue the Aquaritin and beneficial bacteria treatments. After just a few weeks there were no traces of any chemical residual, and we could see the bottom of the pond clearly nearly all the way across where it was only three feet deep.
Continued maintenance treatments for the water health, aquatic health and oxygen by using diatom promoter. Additionally beneficial bacteria should be used to continue reducing thick muck and new leaves as well as support the diatoms. Pond is under maintenance contract so we monitor and treat including bio-dredging on a monthly basis. We plan on installing a fountain with lights this spring.
Our client dredged a 100 year old pond on his property to increase the depth throughout the pond. This unfortunately released a lot of pockets of pollution in the soil. He also observed a lot of geese visiting his pond after he refilled it and attributed much pollution to the geese. We found pondweed had taken root throughout the pond, even in 8 ft of water. The pond was well designed and stocked with bluegill and bass.
We believed the pondweed was thriving on pollution and regardless of the source we felt confident that if we eliminated the pollution we could starve out the pondweed WITHOUT USING ANY CHEMICALS OR HERBICIDES. We installed an aerator and began treating with double treatments of Aquaritin diatom promoter along with some beneficial bacteria to consume the excess nutrients.
Within ONLY 30 DAYS after the four double doses of Aquaritin, beneficial bacteria and the aerator running 24/7 along with bulk removal of the existing pondweed by hauling it into boats like fishing nets, we snorkeled the pond and found that the only pondweed left was growing in one or two feet of water only by the stream that enters into the pond and a few plants on the shoreline. Other than that the pond was weed free!
Owner obtained a permit for 10 Triploid Carp and had them delivered in the fall. Continue maintenance treatments for the water health, aquatic health and oxygen by using diatom promoter. Additionally beneficial bacteria is be used to clarify the water.
Our client purchased a property in March and by April realized the pond that came with the property was a problem and wanted to do something to make it a nice pond. They called several pond consultants, companies but we convinced them that our nonprofit had the best plan for the most reasonable treatment plan costs.
In Virginia, watershield is one of the worst invasive weeds. This pond was loaded with watershield then started growing lily pads in the middle as well. We had no choice but to use a "selective herbicide" that would not hurt grass, other plants or aquatic life. The herbicide was designed to break down and go away naturally, but after three weeks we raked some of the dead weed and started treating the water to regain aquatic health and oxygen by using diatom promoter and beneficial bacteria at the same time to attack some of the very thick muck we encountered. After a few months we applied a second treatment of selective herbicide and that finished off the weed growth leaving the pond clean and clear.
After treatment, by August we were able to see the pond bottom across the pond and the owners were able to enjoy their pond. The after photo to the left simply has a bunch of leaves fallen on top as the warmer weather and wind blew leaves into the pond before the photo was taken. They recently sent me a video taken on their phone showing aquatic life in the pond. That was some clear water!
Continue maintenance treatments for the water health, aquatic health and oxygen by using diatom promoter. Additionally beneficial bacteria should be used to continue reducing thick muck as well as support the diatoms. Pond should be monitored to react to new weed growth and signs of needs for water treatment plan adjustments.
We received a call in July regarding a pond in Sterling that had problems every year with heavy algae growth.
Although our initial inspection also found issues with the pond shoreline which needed to be re-enforced to prevent runoff and severe erosion, we were confident that we could clean up the water. We showed the owner how to treat the pond and once we had the correct dosages, the pond water was clean in 5 weekly treatments of Aquaritin and Beneficial Bacteria.
After the algae was all gone the pond still had problems with erosion and suspended clay particles but the owner opted not to address that issue at this time.
We advised the owner to reinforce the banks of the pond with a retaining wall or with proper deep rooted plants grown six or more feet wide around the pond. After they fix the runoff and erosion issues we hope to return to clarify the pond,